7-year-old who swam in lake dies from rare brain-eating amoeba

7-Year-Old Who Swam In Lake Dies From Rare Brain-Eating Amoeba

A 7-year-old boy was swimming in a Northern California lake when he contracted an extremely rare brain-eating amoeba. He has since died of complications.

David Pruitt was brought to the emergency room and then transferred to UC Davis Medical Center late last month, where he was put on life-support with severe brain swelling, according to a GoFundMe page.

7-year-old who swam in lake dies from rare brain-eating amoeba
Image via Shutterstock

RELATED: UK Mom Sheepish After Discovering Her Boy’s ‘Brain-Eating Worm’

“On July 30, our 7-year-old nephew, David, was rushed to the emergency room and then flown to UC Davis Medical Center. He is currently on life-support with severe brain swelling,” the GoFundMe post began.

“David’s parents and two younger sisters are doing all they can to support David through this time. However, related costs will inevitably be high. We are seeking help for them to cover such costs related to medical bills, unpaid time off from work, and possible funeral expenses. Your support would go a long way to help this family deal with such a terrible and sudden tragedy.”

“David has passed on,” the post continued, “but his death does not need to be in vain. Please go to ‘Kyle Cares Amoeba Awareness Foundation’. The site will provide you and your loved ones with potentially life saving tips. Please spread awareness about this amoeba.”

7-year-old who swam in lake dies from rare brain-eating amoeba
Image via GoFundMe

RELATED: It Could Be Months Before Brain Eating Amoeba-Contaminated Water Is Disinfected

“We are sad and broken hearted to report, that our sweet little David has passed on. He is now in the loving arms of our Lord and family members who have passed before him. We are rejoicing in knowing he is no longer in pain and in the best of care.”

“David did contract a devastating infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) from an amoeba found in freshwater and soil around the world,” the post continued. “Please visit ‘Kyle Cares Amoeba Awareness’ to learn more about this infection and how to protect yourself and your family. Take time to learn the signs and symptoms.”

“We are still asking any and everyone to donate what you can and to share this information about the amoeba and the PAM illness with as many people as you can. The family is extremely thankful, humbled, and feel so blessed to know people care so deeply for them and have and are still praying for them and have donated what they can to help them during this tragic time,” the post concluded.

About Mamas Uncut

Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.

.