alec baldwin says he's 'in touch' with halyna hutchins' husband and is 'heartbroken' for their son in first statement since on set tragedy

Alec Baldwin Says He’s ‘In Touch’ With Halyna Hutchins’ Husband and Is ‘Heartbroken’ for Their Son in First Statement Since On Set Tragedy

After news broke of the tragedy that occurred on the set of Alec Baldwin’s newest film, Rust, the actor is speaking out for the first time. As Mamas Uncut previously reported, Baldwin was on the set of the new movie when the prop gun he was using discharged.

Sadly, the gun killed Halyna Hutchins was just 42 years old. Hutchins was the director of photography for the upcoming film. Also injured in the incident was the director of the film, Joel Souza, 48.

RELATED: Prop Gun Fired By Alec Baldwin Kills Halyna Hutchins, 42, and Injures Director

prop gun fired by alec baldwin kills halyna hutchins, 42, and injures director

Alec Baldwin Issues First Statement

Now, Baldwin is speaking out for the first time since the tragedy took place. On his official Twitter account, Baldwin added that there are no words to describe how he is currently feeling.

“There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours. I’m fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and I am in touch with her husband, offering my support to him and his family. My heart is broken for her husband, their son, and all who knew and loved Halyna.”

According to sheriff’s office spokesman Juan Ríos, Alec Baldwin has been very helpful during the initial investigation process. He has been at the department to offer a statement already.

“We’re treating this as we would any other investigation,” Ríos said. However, he added that deputies were still trying to determine whether what happened was an accident.

“According to investigators it appears that the scene being filmed involved the use of a prop firearm when it was discharged,” the statement said, according to CNN. “Detectives are investigating how and what type of projectile was discharged.”

Alec Baldwin’s statement also comes after people have been talking about a years-old tweet he made win 2017. On September 22, 2017, the actor tweeted, “I wonder how it must feel to wrongfully kill someone…”

Alongside his words was a link to a Los Angeles Times article about a police officer who shot a suspect several times after being involved in a struggle with him.

As CNN reported, the tragedy “happened at approximately 1:50 p.m. local time, investigators said” on October 21. Rust is reportedly a Western film set in the 1880s that stars Baldwin, Travis Fimmel, and Jensen Ackles. Production has now been postponed.

As Mamas Uncut previously reported, this is not the first time a prop gun has injured people on set. And as Fran Drescher, president of the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, said in her statement, “…the authorities to investigate this incident and to understand how to prevent such a thing from happening again.”

About Mamas Uncut

Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.

.