Angel names for babies are some of the most treasured and beloved baby names because they inspire and fascinate us. Angels are supernatural beings that appear in various religions around the world. While most of the angel names on this list are found in Christianity and Judaism, we will also share prominent angels in Islam and even Buddhism.
If you are a person of faith, you might find a name that means “angel” to be an attractive choice. We have rounded up twenty names for boys and girls below. Then, we move on to forty-five proper angel names from around the world. We hope they inspire you!
Check Out These Glorious Angel Names for Babies!
Angel Names for Boys That Mean ‘Angel’
- Angel– the earliest use of the linguistic element that brings us the word angel comes from Mycenaean. The word was later adopted by the Greeks then translated to Latin and finally into the English word angel. Today, Angel is used predominately as a name for boys by Latino families.
- Angelo– Angelo is the Italian form of Angel. Did you know that the Greek translation means “messenger”? Thus, Angel always means “angel,” of course, but also “messenger.”
- Angelico– Another Italian charmer, Angelico means “angelic.”
More Angel Names for Boys
- Michelangelo– Michelangelo is another Italian name that combines the Hebrew name Michael (“who is like God?”) with Angelo.
- Deangelo– Yet another Italian name for boys, Deangelo means “of the angel.”
- Ingram– A German name for boys, Ingram means “angel-raven.”
More Angel Names for Boys
- Engelbert– Another German find, Engelbert, which is a mouthful we admit, means “bright angel.” Does the wonderful meaning of this angel name sweeten the deal?
- Malak– Malak has Arabic origins and means “angel.” This is a gender-neutral name, making for a perfect segue to angel names for baby girls.
Angel Names for Girls That Mean ‘Angel’
- Angela– Angela is the Latinate, female form of Angel.
- Angelina– Angelina is a diminutive form of Angel beloved in Greek, Italian, Spanish, and Russian speakers.
Angel Names for Girls
- Angelica– Angelica is yet another diminutive of Angela, from Russian, Polish, and Italian origins.
- Angelique– Angelique is the sophisticated-sounding French form of the name.
- Anahera– Coming from the Maori tradition (found in Eastern Polynesia), Anahera means “angel.”
More Angel Names for Girls
- Arcangela– Arcangela comes from Greek tradition and means “high-ranking angel.” Or simply, “archangel.”
- Arella– the Semitic languages share similar elements for angle (in Malak). Arella is a name of Hebrew origins meaning “angel” or “messenger.”
- Buğlem– a Turkish name for girls, Buğlem means “angel who heralds heaven.”
Angel Names for Girls
- Aniela– Aniela is the Polish variation of Angela.
- Atchara– Atchara is a Thai name, meaning “angel.”
- Seraphina– Seraphina is a Hebrew name that means “fiery” but also refers to the highest-ranking angels.
Prominent Angels Found in a Variety of Religious Traditions Around the World
Angel Names That Start with A
- Afriel– An angel of Youth.
- Arariel– From Judaism, an angel of waters of the earth and nature.
- Ariel– An archangel and personification of Israel.
More Angel Names That Start with A
- Artiya’il– From Islam, this angel cleanses and removes human grief.
- Azazel– Found in Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Yazdânism, Azazel is a fallen angel who is the teacher of evil arts to humans. So, this one’s likely not best for your baby!
- Azrael– From Islam and Judaism, Azrael is an angel of death and retribution. Again, there are likely better options for babies below!
Angel Names That Start with B
- Barachiel– From Christianity, an archangel and chief of the guardian angels. Barachiel is associated with blessings and thus, would be a great, offbeat choice.
- Baraqiel– A stone’s throw from Barachiel, Baraqiel is from Judaism and is an archangel associated with lighting.
Angel Names That Start with C
- Cassiel– One of the most attractive angel names on this list, Cassiel is a guardian of babies born in December and January as well as an archangel of solitude and tears.
- Charmeine– An Angel of Harmony. Charmeine would be an excellent choice for a girl thanks to the established name Charmaine.
Angel Names That Start with D
- Dadrail– From Islam and Yazdânism, Dadrail is an archangel in Yazdânism.
- Dina– Dina would be a great option for a baby girl as it’s similar to the Hebrew name, Dinah. Dina is an angel of learning.
- Dumah– From Islam and Judaism, Dumah holds dominion over silence, stillness, and the wicked dead. So, maybe not perfect for a baby!
Angel Names That Start with F or G
- Forfax– An angel of astronomy and for prayer to the night sky and its stars.
- Gabriel– In Abrahamic religions, Gabriel is the archangel who shared the news of Jesus’ birth (He blew that horn). Gabriel appears in Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Yazdânism texts (as well as those of the LDS Churches). Messengers, military, and destruction are also considered this angel’s dominion. It’s one of the most popular angel names in the world!
- Gavreel– In Christianity and Judaism, Gavreel (sometimes Gadreel) is considered an angel of peace.
Angel Names That Start with H
- Hadraniel– From Gnosticism and Judaism, Hadraniel is considered a gatekeeper for the second heavenly gate.
- Hamalat al-Arsh– In Islam, some angels carry the “Arsh” or “throne of God.” This is a similar class as the Christian Seraph.
- Haniel– From Christianity and Judaism, Haniel represents an archangel and leader of the Principalities.
Angel Names That Start with I, J, or L
- Israfil– From Islam, Israfil is an angel associated with music and is often compared to Raphael.
- Jophiel– A Christian angel of enlightenment.
- Lailah– From Judaism, Lailah holds dominion over night and conception. It would be a happy alternative for Layla and Leila.
Angel Names That Start with M
- Manakel– A Christian angel of peace.
- Marut– A fallen angel in Islam, Marut holds dominion over sorcery.
More Angel Names That Start with M
- Melek Taus– In Yazdânism, Melek Taus is a central figure to the religion. A peacock angel and one of the “Seven Mysteries,” you might be better choosing another name from this list if you do not have Yazidi heritage.
- Micah– an angel of miracles and one of the most attractive angel names on this list! The name comes from Hebrew and means “who is like the Lord.”
More Angel Names That Start with M
- Michael– Michael (Mikail, in Arabic) plays a role in Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Yazdânism. One of the Seraph, Michael is a General in the army of God, considered an angel of mercy but also death. Michael, the name, has Hebrew origins and means “who is like God?”
- Munkar– Here’s another interesting one, but one you should probably skip on for a baby’s name. From Islam, Munkar is an angel of death.
Angel Names That Start with N
- Nakir– Another angel of death from Islam.
- Nathaniel– An angel of fire. Nathaniel is a popular Hebrew name that means “gift of God.”
- Netzach– From Christianity and Judaism, Netzach is a leader of the Principalities and holds dominion over eternity.
Angel Names That Start with P
- Paschar– Angel of vision.
- Puriel– An angel from Judaism who examines souls in heaven.
Angel Names That Start with R
- Raguel– An archangel of justice found in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
- Ramiel– In Christianity and Judaism, Ramiel is an archangel with dominion over water. Ramiel is considered the angel of hope. The Hebrew elements that form the name mean “the thunder of God.” We see Remial as one of the most appealing yet underused angel names on this list.
More Angel Names That Start with R
- Raphael– Found in Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Yazdânism, Raphael is a leader of the Virtues and one of the cherubim. The angel is associated with healing and is the patron of doctors. The Hebrew roots of this name mean “God has healed.” Parents, you know what to do!
- Raziel– In Judaism, Raziel is considered an archangel associated with keeping secrets. In fact, the Hebrew origins of this name mean “secret of God.”
Angel Names That Start with S
- Sachael– In Christianity and Judaism, Sachael (sometimes Sachiel) is considered an angel of wealth, charity, and water.
- Sandalphon– From Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, Sandalphon is considered an archangel and protected of unborn children.
More Angel Names That Start with S
- Sariel– An archangel of guidance in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
- Selaphiel– In Christianity, Selaphiel is a patron saint of prayer and worship as well as an archangel.
Angel Names That Start with T or U
- Tabbris– An angel associated with self-determination.
- Tennin– In Japanese Buddhism, Tennin and Tennyo (female form) are flying heavenly beings associated with enlightenment.
- Uriel– A patron of the arts, seraphim, and archangel, Uriel is an excellent name that does not get the attention it deserves in the US. Uriel is traditionally given symbolically to boys born during Chanukah. Thus, Uriel means “God is my light.”
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 30 Unique Biblical Boy Names
Angel Names That Start with X or Z
- Xapham– An angel of creation.
- Zadikiel– An angel of prayer, freedom, benevolence, and mercy. Patron to all those who forgive in Christianity and Judaism.
- Zuphlas– An angel of trees.
- Zuriel– An angel of harmony. This Biblical name has Hebrew origins that mean “God is my rock.”
There you go! What did you think of these angel names? We understand that a great many of them will seem out of place in a classroom today. However, there still are plenty of options out there for you to consider! We hope you found a name you can add to your list of potential candidates. If not, happy baby name hunting!
- 1 Check Out These Glorious Angel Names for Babies!
- 2 Prominent Angels Found in a Variety of Religious Traditions Around the World
- 2.1 Angel Names That Start with A
- 2.2 More Angel Names That Start with A
- 2.3 Angel Names That Start with B
- 2.4 Angel Names That Start with C
- 2.5 Angel Names That Start with D
- 2.6 Angel Names That Start with F or G
- 2.7 Angel Names That Start with H
- 2.8 Angel Names That Start with I, J, or L
- 2.9 Angel Names That Start with M
- 2.10 More Angel Names That Start with M
- 2.11 More Angel Names That Start with M
- 2.12 Angel Names That Start with N
- 2.13 Angel Names That Start with P
- 2.14 Angel Names That Start with R
- 2.15 More Angel Names That Start with R
- 2.16 Angel Names That Start with S
- 2.17 More Angel Names That Start with S
- 2.18 Angel Names That Start with T or U
- 2.19 Angel Names That Start with X or Z
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.