How can I get my kids last name hyphenated?

My children have my ex’s last name. We split up, and I would like to hyphenate their names with his last name and mine. How easy is this to do? I’m not trying to change their name to just mine; I just want to hyphenate it. The plan was to always end up with the same last name as my children as we were engaged, but now that that’s not happening, it doesn’t sit right with me that my children have no part of me as far as the last name is concerned. The process for doing this, and how easy was it to get done?

817 thoughts on “How can I get my kids last name hyphenated?”

  1. Have to file with the courts and pay for each child and you will have to get the fathers approval because even though ur just adding ur name your still technically changing jt

    1. I mean im saying whats the point. Just leave the dads last name.
      If she changes it to hers then she goes and gets married. Then they won’t have the same last name anyways

    2. Obviously no one understands. Your maiden name always stays the same. So what if she gets married then what if she gets divorced. She has the choice in going back to it. And she can hyphen her married name as well. They asked me when i got married if i wanted his, hyphen or if he wanted mine.

  2. Legally, if he is on the birth certificate, you can’t do it behind his back. The court will notify him that you’re wanting to change the name and he will have a chance to object to the change if he wants

  3. Just be aware people screw up my daughter’s hyphenated last name all the time. And on her license there won’t be a hyphen, our state doesn’t use them even though it’s on her social security card

  4. You would have to go to your local social security office and fill out a name change form there may or may not be a fee, but after doing so they would need a new social security number. In some states you can go to the health clinic to get a new birth certificate.

    1. Not when she thought eventually they would all share the same name. That plan didnt work so now she just wants to add hers in. Aint a thing wrong with that. If she was trying to remove his all togather then yes that would be adding them to it but thats not what it is.

    2. Patricia Swicicki she wants to ADD HER LAST NAME ???? , just add it not pack the kids up and flee the country with out dads knowledge. I’m almost concerned at how you think thAt is using THEIR children as a weapon. Buut each to their own I guess? ????????‍♀️

    3. Patricia Swicicki but they’re not..? She’s literally just adding her last name so they don’t all have different last names ? I’m not with my daughters father & haven’t been since she was 5 months old, she’s now 3.5y & she has always had my last name. I’ve been with my current boyfriend for over 2 years & if/when we get married we’ve agreed to change her last name to his as well so we don’t have different last names. It just makes it so much easy for forms & information/appointments ect. It’s not using the child as a pawn. If she was taking dads last name out & making it just hers then yeah it’s a little much but is not what you’re making it to be.

    4. Why is there no need? She was under the impression one day they would all share the same name. That didnt work so why should she be excluded? She did all the work havin the kids the least she desreves is to be able to share their name. Why is that so wrong? What if it was the other way? Why does the man who chose to leave his family still get to be the one who gives the name? Not logical. Nor fair to judge this woman for just wanting to share a name with the children she birthed.

    5. Patricia Swicicki Lol. I still completely disagree that that is using a child as a tool in a battle against an ex. She wants to ADD her name, not get rid of his. Chill out.

  5. In CA you have to go to court and file for it to be changed. The dad has to either agree or not show up for it to be granted. Any changes to a birth certificate has to be done through a court order. If its left blank and your just adding information you can go straight to the hall of records or wherever the BC is issues from and take proper documents and add info but changing requires a court order signed by a judge then you go and get a revised BC and then a revised SSC.

    1. I gave my girls first names that start with a T because they have their dads last name. I feel like if they have his last name I want something that comes from me.

    2. Again, my opinion is this is mean and selfish. Don’t like my opinions, scroll past them. Its really simple. I didn’t say anything wrong or degrading.

    3. Danielle Phillips it‘a not selfish my child doesn’t have my last name and it’s a pain in the ass people are constantly second guessing had issues at the doctors airport library because we have different names. So no not selfish it’s a convenience issue.

    4. Its very selfish to want to change a child’s identity because your feelings changed. They don’t deserve to be put in a situation they don’t understand.

Leave a Comment