The Lucy Letby trial, which is expected to last several months, is one of the most heartbreaking stories you’ll read today – and it only continues to get worse as more evidence is presented. Letby is being charged with the death of seven babies and the attempted murder of 10 others.
According to the prosecutor in the trial, Nick Johnson, the hospital experienced an increase in deaths and collapses between 2015 and 2016. Furthermore, the increases in deaths coincided with Letby’s shifts. When she was working, they increased. When she wasn’t, they decreased.
“Babies who had not been unstable at all suddenly deteriorated. Sometimes babies who had been sick but then been on the mend suddenly deteriorated for no apparent reason,” said Johnson. As a result, employees started thinking that this might not be a coincidence.
The nurse was initially arrested in 2018, but posted bail. She was arrested a second time in 2019, but again posted bail. In 2020, she was arrested a third time, but this time was formally charged with the murders and attempted murders. The Lucy Letby trial began on Monday.
Now four days into the trial, the court has revealed a number of disturbing and eye-opening evidence regarding the incidents – including post-it notes that were found in her home. One of them read, “I am a horrible evil person. I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough.”
Another note read, ‘I am evil. I did this,’ but not all the notes were admissions of guilt. In fact, some were admissions of innocence – ‘I haven’t done anything wrong and they have no evidence so why have I had to hide away?’ Letby is pleading not guilty on all 22 charges filed.
Johnson is also arguing that Letby falsified hospital documents in an effort to hide what he described as “malevolent presence” at the hospital. He added that the deaths of the babies couldn’t be medically explained.
“As the trial begins, we are fully supportive and respectful of the judicial processes and as such will not be making any further comments at this stage. Our thoughts continue to be with all the families involved,” said Susan Gilby, chief executive of the Countess of Chester Hospital.
The Lucy Letby Trial Will Likely Continue for Several Months
At the start of the Lucy Letby trial, the families of the victims were in attendance – as was Letby. According to the defense, “She is not guilty of causing intentional harm to any baby or to killing any baby. She cared deeply about the babies and also cared for their families.”
The Lucy Letby trial is also revealing some of the methods used to kill the babies – which included injecting air into the stomach or bloodstream, and feeding them insulin. In some cases, the baby would live, only to have Letby try again – sometimes four times before succeeding.
For one child, known as Child I, Letby made four separate attempts at killing the child and after she succeeded, she sent the parents a sympathy card. She also murdered twin babies – a boy and a girl – just two days apart. The court explained all 17 murders and attempts in great detail.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Heroic Nurse Saves 3-Month-Old On Spirit Airlines Flight
The trial continued on Friday with medical experts weighing on – evidence will be sifted through as the trial continues. As for the weekend, the trial will be adjourned until Monday morning, according to the BBC. We should be learning more about the murders in the coming weeks.
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.