Monaco’s Princess Charlene is beginning to make the road to recovery after being hospitalized in South Africa on Wednesday night.
“On the night of September 1, Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene of Monaco was taken to hospital after becoming ill due to complications from a serious ENT infection,” the palace revealed to PEOPLE in a statement.
“Her Highness is being closely followed by her medical team, who say her condition is reassuring.”
The princess, 43, suffered a “medical emergency” and was released on Thursday according to South Africa’s News 24, who broke the story. On Friday, it was reported her condition was “stable.”
Allegedly she was “rushed” to Netcare Alberlito Hospital, north of Durban, following a “medical emergency” that occurred at the Thanda Game Reserve, where she has been staying. The hospital in Ballito is about 150 miles from the reserve.
In addition, there were unconfirmed reports from South African media that she collapsed Wednesday night.
Reports of the princess’ hospitalization arose after Prince Albert revealed that Charlene was “eager” to return home and hopes she can once again reunite with her family in Monaco as soon as she can.
The princess has been “grounded” in South Africa since mid-May due to a series of medical procedures intended to correct a previous ENT surgery and combat the infection Charlene developed after the initial procedure.
“She’s ready to come home,” Albert, 63, shared. He admitted that her return date to Monaco “depends on what her doctors say.” Ahead of Wednesday night’s hospitalization, Albert stated that if Charlene’s progress had continued she could plan her travel for as soon as this month.
“I know she’s said possibly ‘late October,’” said Albert, “but that was before this most recent round of appointments. I’m pretty sure we can cut that time frame a little short.”
“She’s ready,” he added. “She’s jokingly said that she’s ready to stow away on a ship to come back to Europe.”
Thankfully his wife’s well-being has improved since her most recent four-hour surgery on Aug. 13. “She was in good spirits.”
During thier family reunion last week in South Africa, Albert was with his wife for a doctor’s appointment where they met with the surgeon who performed her most recent operation to get “a new reassessment about how things are holding up.”
The princess was also able to bond with her 6-year-old twins Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques for the first time since early June. Said Albert, “Of course she was delighted to see us and to spend time with the kids.”
With a background in the creative and educational fields, Amelia Finefrock is freelance writer, singer-songwriter and nanny based in Chicago.
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.