Long-Awaited Pregnancy Takes Scary Turn After Call From Doctor

Tales From Motherhood: Finding Out I Was Pregnant Was the Best Day of My Life, But Then My Doctor Called With Bad News

A mom shares her story of motherhood. After trying to become pregnant for five years, the glorious day finally came. But soon after, some worrying news from a doctor made for an extremely anxiety-ridden pregnancy and birth. This is Ashley C’s tale of motherhood.

We reached out to the robust Mamas Uncut Facebook community and asked to hear stories from real moms about their experiences with pregnancy, motherhood, and more. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Our goal is to share these stories (anonymously, if the author so chooses) with our community as a reminder that we are not alone in either our joys or struggles.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Tales From Motherhood: How One Mom Made It Through Postpartum Depression, Addiction, and More

Community member Ashley C. writes:

Finding out I was pregnant was the best day of my life. My husband and I tried for 5 years. Surgeries, procedures, and medications. Nothing worked. We were looking into IVF and had just met with the IVF doctor. To our surprise we were pregnant! We were so excited!!

We were getting ready to move (military). I couldn’t wait to get to our next place and see the doctor! We had to wait until I was 10 weeks for the first appointment. The day finally came! We got to see our little miracle baby! Baby looked perfect.

They sent me for blood work after. A week later I was asked to come back. I found out I was a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis so they needed to test my husband. He went and got tested. They told us it would be a week. I went home to visit family. While I was home I missed the call from the doctor. Of course, she left a voicemail telling me to call back Monday… it was Friday. That weekend was horrible. I couldn’t sleep because i needed to know.

I called Monday and the nurse couldn’t tell me anything. They said the doctor would call back. She didn’t until the next day. My husband was positive with the same mutation. I was devastated.

We had to be sent to a maternal-fetal specialist. I denied the amino because no matter what we would love our baby. They told us our son had a 25% chance he would have CF, 50% chance he would be a carrier, and 25% chance he would be negative.

Fast forward a few months, the movie Five Feet Apart, the Cystic Fibrosis movie, is about to come out (March 15th my due date). I was depressed. Thought it was a bad sign.

I went in on the 14th for my induction. It was rough. Needed an emergency C-section after 21 hours due to a prolapsed cord. Baby was perfect at birth. But now we had to wait for blood test results on him.

It took 2.5 long weeks… but his tests came back negative! Our baby boy was perfect. The stress was worth it. But sadly he will be our only child due to the chance of Cystic Fibrosis.

– Ashley C.

Thank you so much for sharing your story of pregnancy and motherhood with us, Ashley C! We hope other moms find it as inspiring, relatable, and helpful as we do. Lastly, we wish you the best of luck on your continuing motherhood journey.

Do you have a story about your experiences as a mom that you’d like to share with us? Submit it using the form below.

About Mamas Uncut

Mamas Uncut is the place for moms online. We cover the latest news around motherhood and parenting, plus entertainment news as well – all with a mom-focused twist. Looking for parenting advice? We have plenty of it, all for moms, from moms. Our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for. We don’t stop there though, we have expert advice on a range of topics, and all of our categories get updated multiple times a day, so if there’s one website for moms you need to bookmark, it’s Mamas Uncut. We cover it all, from the latest and trendiest baby names, in the US and all over the world, to advice for moms in the workplace, or mom to mom advice on balancing it all. Looking for an answer to a specific question you’ve have? Head over to our new answers section, where you can ask questions on a nearly endless amount of topics, and you’ll get answers fast – really fast. Mamas Uncut is more than just the place for moms, it’s the community of moms – all here to help, make friends, and more. Not sure where to start? Take a look at one of our key topic areas like Pregnancy or Relationships – if you’re looking for advice on a specific topic, there’s a pretty good chance that we’ve already written on it (a few times), or that it’s within our answers section. If you don’t have time to read the site every day, we also have a newsletter that you can control how often you want to receive – that way we send all of the must-see content for moms directly to your inbox – it’s that easy. So go ahead and take a look around, ask a question, or just keep reading, we’re glad you’re here.

Leave a Comment