A three-year-old boy has tragically died after being left in a hot car in San Antonio, Texas. The boy’s parents accidentally left him after returning from their six-year-old’s tee ball game. The parents later came out to look for their son, Liam Ordonez, only to discover him unresponsive in the backseat of the car. Each parent had assumed the other had taken Liam inside when they got home, according to the local police.
While performing CPR, the parents called 911, but it was too late. According to the National Weather Service, it was 93 degrees that day.
“This really was just a case of parents who just got distracted,” said Lt. Jesse Salame from the San Antonio Police. “They discovered him unresponsive in the vehicle, pulled him out and began life-saving measures, but went unsuccessful.”
The police do not consider the incident a crime, though they will conduct an investigation.
The 43rd Hot Car Death of 2019
Forty-three children have died in hot cars so far this year.
According to Dr. Rosina McAlpine, CEO of Win Win Parenting, the majority of the deaths are accidental. Parents “forget they haven’t dropped the child off at daycare or school and rush off to a meeting or work distracted, leaving their child behind,” she told Fox News.
“Later they remember in shock but it is often too late,” McAlpine continued.
When I’m not hanging out with my three-year-old and husband in Brooklyn, I’m busy writing stories for Mamas Uncut and managing PR + Marketing for Magnolia Bakery, based in New York City. On weekends, you can usually find me at a local park or playground pushing my daughter on the swings, “researching” the best almond croissants in Park Slope or launching into impromptu family dance parties at home, the sidewalk or, every once in awhile, a restaurant bathroom. I’m still trying to master the whole parenting thing, but I have learned that copious amounts of coffee, humor and humility are involved on a daily basis.