Six months after revealing he was diagnosed with stomach cancer and taking some time away from the country music stage to focus on his health, county music legend Toby Keith is sharing an update about how his battle against cancer is going.
While talking with the CMT Hot 20 Countdown, Keith revealed he is still fighting although the road to being cancer-free has been one with a lot of difficult challenges. But despite the hardships he has recently faced, Keith hopes to be back on the road and on the stage soon.
“I’m thinking about getting back in fighting shape. I need a little bit of time to just rest up and heal up,” Keith told the radio show. “It’s pretty debilitating to have to go through all that, but as long as everything stays hunky-dory, then we’ll look at something good in the future.”
Keith surprised fans back in November when he was honored at the BMI Country Awards in Nashville with a 12-minute acceptance speech and a performance. It seems that while Keith may not be ready just yet to get back on the road, he is well on his way.
As Mamas Uncut reported several months ago, Keith made some updates to his summer schedule after initially telling the world about his cancer diagnosis. “I’ve spent the last 6 months receiving chemo, radiation, and surgery.”
Toby Keith Shares Update After Revealing Heartbreaking Cancer Diagnosis
As Keith continued, he added that things are progressing well as his battle continues. “So far, so good. I need time to breathe, recover and relax.”
Keith is specifically dealing with stomach cancer as he wrote in the statement. And as he continues to fight and recover from his treatments, the singer said he will be doing so with his family by his side.
While his news came as a shock to many of his fans, he said he hopes to return to the state soon. “I am looking forward to spending time with my family. But I will see the fans sooner than later. I can’t wait.”
In an update to his summer schedule, CMT reports that Keith has canceled many of his shows over the next several weeks. Keith’s website revealed that he was scheduled to perform at Ribfest in Illinois on June 17, however, he has since canceled that performance.
CMT further reports that “more than a dozen tour dates listed on his website” have also been removed. It’s believed that Keith will not take the stage for the rest of 2022.
Several big-name acquaintances of Keith’s took to Instagram to wish him a speedy recovery. From Troy Aikman to Jason Aldean, many people said they were praying for the singer.
“Damn bro,” Jason Aldean wrote. “Hate ur dealing with that, but if anybody can kick Cancer’s a**, it’s you. Prayin’ for ya big man.”
“Prayers for complete healing,” Matt Rogers wrote. “Rest up and relax. We will see you soon.”
Several days after his first announcement, Toby Keith took to his Instagram again to share a quick note of thanks. “Thank you for all your love and support. I have the best fans in the world.”
The 60-year-old and his wife, Tricia Lucus, have been married for 38 years. The couple shares three children together.
Sara Vallone has been a writer and editor for the last four and a half years. A graduate of Ohio University, she enjoys celebrity news, sports, and articles that enhance people’s lives.
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.