You may have heard of this game before, it’s called the Elevator game and it has gone viral again on TikTok. The game by nature is rather scary.
We are bringing this “trend” to your attention, particularly to the attention of parents of teens, to encourage them not to believe everything they hear, and to avoid following unsafe trends like this elevator game.
What Is the Elevator Game?
According to TiktTok user, D3s3rt Qu33n, in order to play the game you, obviously, need an elevator, but also a building that has at least 10 floors. “The elevator game is a very suspicious paranormal game,” the TikTok user said. She even alleged that the game has been linked to a high-profile death that occurred at the infamous Cecil Hotel in Los Angeles, California.
Once you get into the elevator, first press the button that will take you to the fourth floor. Then it is suggested that you go to the second, the sixth, and back to the second floor again, before choosing to go all the way to the 10th floor. You are not supposed to leave the elevator during this portion of the game.
It is then you should travel down to the fifth floor where the story suggests you encounter a woman who the TikTok user says you should not engage with or look at. Once you encounter this woman, you are supposed to travel back down to the first floor.
Should the door open to the first floor, you are supposed to get out immediately without looking back or hesitating. However, if you press the button for the first floor but go up to the 10th floor, you can choose to stay on or get off. It is then that you enter, what the TikTok user described as a
Here are the rules of the Elevator Game, as spelled out by a site owned by Penn State:
- Find a building with at least 10 floors.
- Make sure to be alone and that no one else joins you in the elevator throughout this process, otherwise, you must start over.
- Press the button to get to the fourth floor. Don’t get out. Then go to the second floor, sixth floor, second floor, and the tenth floor. Do NOT get out on any of these floors.
- Then, go to the fifth floor. There, a young woman could come into the elevator with you. Do NOT speak or look at her, even though she may look familiar.
- Then, press the first floor,
- IF you press to go the first floor, but the elevator goes to the tenth floor, remain on the elevator, you’re still in the game.
- IF you press to go to the first floor, but the elevator goes to the first floor, then exit the moment the doors open. Do NOT speak or look back.
- Once you reach the tenth floor, you can choose to get off or stay. IF you choose to get off, the woman from step four may ask you a question and even call your name. Do NOT answer her.
- Now, you have reached the Otherworld. To know for sure you are, the sign is that you are the only one there.
But how do you returned from this other dimension? Well, according to Penn State, you must use the same elevator you used to get to the “other world” and follow the floor pattern you used to get there; 4th, 2nd, 6th, 2nd, 10th, and 5th. And this is where things get tricky.
Upon attempting to reach the first floor from the fifth floor, the elevator will reportedly try to go up to the 10th again. To prevent that from happening, you have “press any other floor button to stop it from going to the tenth floor before reaching there.”
“Once you’re on the first floor, make sure everything around you is alright. IF something is not normal, remain in the elevator and repeat step two.” And that’s that.
Here are the return rules of the Elevator Game, as spelled out by a site owned by Penn State:
- Return to the exact elevator you came from and press the same order of buttons mentioned before, finishing on the fifth floor.
- Once you’re on the fifth floor, press the button for the first floor. However, this will cause the elevator to go to the tenth floor. SO, you must press any other floor button to stop it from going to the tenth floor before reaching there.
- Once you’re on the first floor, make sure everything around you is alright. IF something is not normal, remain in the elevator and repeat step two.
Look, we get it these games seem silly and untrue, and like harmless fun. However, being alone in an elevator at any stage of life is discouraged. There are so many other dangers than a mysterious woman possibly lurking on the fifth floor.
So, please be safe, make good decisions, and parents discourage your kiddos from playing this elevator game.
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.