Several days after his cause of death was revealed, Bob Saget’s family is taking steps to prevent authorities from releasing their records to the public. According to their lawsuit, the family says they would “suffer irreparable harm in the form of extreme mental pain, anguish and emotional distress” should such records be widely available.
As Mamas Uncut previously reported, Bob Saget passed away on January 9. Saget died in his sleep while on a comedy tour.
In a statement released by his family exactly one month after his passing, they revealed that according to his official autopsy report, Saget died while sleeping in his hotel room after he suffered severe head trauma. Now, the family is working to keep any other information regarding Saget’s death confidential.
According to E! News, Saget’s wife, Kelly Rizzo, and his three daughters, Aubrey, Lara, Jennifer Saget “are suing Orange County Sheriff John Mina and the District Nine Medical Examiner’s Office in Florida to block the release of records pertaining to the investigation into Bob’s death.” As the court documents explained, Rizzo, Aubrey, Lara, and Jennifer hope to keep the details of his death investigation confidential as news and media outlets plan to file public record requests.
“Citing their privacy rights, the family is asking the court to grant a declaratory relief so that the records can remain ‘confidential and exempt from disclosure under Florida law,’” E! News reported. In a statement released by the family’s lawyer, these steps are specifically to ensure that videos and photos are never made public.
Bob Saget’s Family Takes Steps to Prevent the Release of His Death Records
“In order to protect the Saget family’s privacy, today on their behalf, I filed for an injunction to prevent the disclosure of any photographs or videos of Mr. Saget made by the authorities during their investigation,” Brian Bieber told E! News. “It’s very simple—from a human and legal standpoint—the Saget family’s privacy rights outweigh any public interest in disclosure of this sensitive information.”
And although the family wants the materials in the investigation to remain confidential, the Saget family still believes the “facts of the investigation should be made public.”
In their February 9 statement, Saget’s family said, “Now that we have the final conclusions from the authorities’ investigation, we felt it only proper that the fans hear those conclusions directly from us. The authorities have determined that Bob passed from head trauma. They have concluded that he accidentally hit the back of his head on something, thought nothing of it, and went to sleep. No drugs or alcohol were involved.”
Saget was 65 years old at the time of his passing.
Sara Vallone has been a writer and editor for the last four and a half years. A graduate of Ohio University, she enjoys celebrity news, sports, and articles that enhance people’s lives.
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.