Hippie names appeal to so many expecting parents because these appellations are evocative of nature’s splendor, of giant trees, peaceful meadows, rolling brooks, and fluffy animals. Further, hippie names are largely secular which has emerged as a very attractive feature for baby appellations with new parents today.
Hippie names express a love for the beauty around us and a respect for the earth we call home. While you may think nature baby names for girls are just flowery names, you better think again! You might also expect nature boy names to be overly butch like Wolf or Stone, but we assure you there are softer choices to be made. We have curated a list of over 100 hippie names to inspire you on your baby name journey.
Check Out These Delightful Hippie Names for Boys & Girls!
Hippie Names for Boys – Botanical Options
- Rue– A gender-neutral option kicks this list off! Rue is the perfect unisex choice that works for boys thanks to it sounding close to Drew. Rue was treasured by the ancient Romans for its medicinal applications. However, the name means “regret.”
- Sage– Another beloved herb by the Romans, Sage is a special name meaning “wise.”
- Florian– A distinguished and established name, Florian has Latin roots that mean “flower.”
- Betony– A virtually unused name, Betony is also the name of a wildflower.
- Campion– Campion is a French name that means “champion.” However, campion wildflowers are beloved for their pink and red petals.
Hippie Names for Boys Continued – More Botanical-Inspired Appellations
- Basil– Basil comes from a Greek root meaning “kingly.” It’s why basilicas are called such. Basil is also the name of a beloved herb!
- Sorrel– An edible herb with reddish-purple flowers, sorrels have a scrumptious name. Sorrel is also a French name meaning “reddish.”
- Reed– The name Reed enjoys English origins and is associated with boys with red hair. Reeds, of course, are the grassy plant often found growing near marshes.
- Zahur– Zahur has Egyptian and Arabic roots and is one of a few nature boy names that means “flower.”
- Oleander– Not only is Oleander a mashup of wildly popular Oliver and Alexander, Oleander names a flowering shrub.
Hippie Names for Boys – Trees
- Rowan– The Rowan tree gave us the Scottish name Rowan. In Ireland, the name means “redhead.”
- Ash– From the Hebrew name Asher, Ash also refers to the Ash tree.
- Ewan– Scottish Gaelic, Ewan, means “born of the yew tree.”
- Oren– A Hebrew name that means “laurel” and “pine tree.”
- Elon– Another Hebrew treasure, Elon means “oak tree.”
Hippie Names for Boys – Even More Trees
- Cedar– Cedar comes from Latin roots and indeed means “cedar tree.”
- Leif– Scandinavian name Leif actually means “heir” but it’s pronounced just like the word leaf.
- Birch– Birch refers to the tree but it’s an established name that means “dweller in the birch forest.”
- Branch– Of all the nature names on this list, we imagine that Branch might be the most polarizing. We think it works, but if it seems like to much of a stretch, don’t!
- Banyan– The name of a tropical Indian fig tree, Banyan translates to mean “the God tree.”
Hippie Names for Boys – Minerals, Stone, and Rocks
- Slate– An excellent alternative to Slade, if your are looking for one, Slate refers to the cool, smooth rock.
- Alabaster– Alabaster makes for an evocative name for boys as it describes a smooth, white stone. The name evolved from Egyptian al-abaste, which refers to the Egyptian God Bast.
- Jasper– Thankfully, Jasper has grown in popularity in recent years. This awesome Persian name means “bringer of treasure.” But, you will also find a variant of it in Hebrew, meaning “speckled stone.”
- Onyx– The smooth black stone you know and love has such a wonderful name! Onyx contains Greek elements which mean “claw.”
- Kito– Kito is a Swahili name for boys that means “precious jewel.”
Hippie Names for Boys – Topographic and Landscape-Inspired Appellations
- Forest– A name you know and love, Forest makes for a remarkable name for boys.
- Glenn– A Scottish name that’s used for both boys and girls, Glenn means “wooded valley.”
- Hawthorn– A touch prickly, Hawthorn sounds rather buttoned-up but we urge you to consider it! Hawthorn, like Glenn, is a topographic name referring to a “hedge of hawthorn.”
- Heath– Heath is a handsome name for boys that refers to a “heathland dweller.”
- River– River has been a hot nature name since the 1990s. River simply refers to the flowing bodies of water.
Hippie Names for Boys – More Landscapes & Topographic Names
- Bay– Bay has Latin origins and means “berry,” so this one is a two-for-one in that it’s a botanical name and a name for a body of water.
- Lake– Thanks to its proximity to Blake, Lake works as an excellent alternative that highlights nature.
- Flint– An English topographic name, Flint means “born near a crop of Flint.” This name was once wildly popular in the 1960s.
- Pike– Yes, Pike is a fish, but it’s also the name of Pike’s Peak which was so named by Zebulon Pike.
- Everest– Not our favorite of the nature names on this list, but one that’s been getting used far more often these days. The name of the world’s tallest mountain.
Hippie Names for Boys – Mythological Names
- Sylvan– Sylvan comes from the Roman forest god Sylvan. Thus, this Latin name means “woods.”
- Aries– An astrology, mythology, and animal name all in one, Aries has it all. The Roman God of with a name that translates to “ram.”
- Atlas– The Name of Greek Titan who held the entire earth. This name is great for travelers as well. The name means “to carry.”
- Lir– Pronounced exactly the same way as Lear, Lir is an Irish name for boys that belonged to the god of the sea.
- Pan– A Greek mythological figure of a figure who possessed the legs of a goat! The being was tied to nature and the name Pan means “shepherd.”
Hippie Names for Boys – Animals
- Bear– Bear has been a hot name in the UK for years now and it’s finally come to the US. A little grizzly and a little teddy.
- Finch– Finch could make for a colorful choice. The name belongs to the bird but also has a history as an English name meaning “to swindle.”
- Fox– Sleek and a bit wild, Fox would be the perfect name for a boy with playful parents.
- Hawk– Sometimes spelled with an E as a surname, Hawk simply refers to the bird of prey.
- Wolf– Is Wolf too much of a name for a baby boy to shoulder? You get to decide! If it’s too literal, the German name Wolfgang means “wolf traveler.”
Hippie Names for Boys – More Animals
- Wren– Wren is an English bird name that benefits from sounding exactly like the established name Rene.
- Robin– A unisex option, Robin refers to the bird, but it’s also an English diminutive form of Robert. In fact, it’s been a nickname for Robert for centuries. Thus, the name means “bright fame.”
- Buck– A touch rough around the edges, Buck may or may not appeal to you. We think it’s a strong name. It, of course, means “male deer.”
- Drake– Drake is a handsome one! This English name can mean “dragon” or “male duck.”
- Raoul– If you’re looking for a nature name with a touch of mystery, the French name Raoul might be the perfect option. It means “wolf-counsel” and sounds way better than its Germanic form: Ralph.
Now, Let’s Look at Hippie Names for Girls
Hippie Names for Girls – Beautiful Botanicals
- Liliosa– Liliosa is probably the best form of the name Lily. This Spanish option offers distinction and warmth.
- Daisy– Daisy is an English flower name for the happy flower you know and love. It got its name because of the way it opens at dawn, “day’s eye.”
- Xochitl– A Nahuatl or Aztec floral name used in southern Mexico and pronounced so-chat-l, Xochitl means “flower.”
- Pema– A Tibetan girl’s name, Pema means “lotus flower.”
- Nasrin– Nasrin is a popular appellation in Iran, Turkey, and Azerbaijan today. It means “wild rose.” Are you in love?
More Hippie Names for Girls – Fresh Botanicals
- Marigold– A vintage charmer, Marigold is an English flower name that refers to the gorgeous yellow flower. Unfortunately, this name has never appealed to many parents outside the UK.
- Lita– Lita is a shortened form of Rosalita, a Spanish name with Hebrew origins that means “garden.” This is one of our favorite nature names with the Rose- component.
- Kalina– Unless you have Polish heritage, you likely have never heard the Polish name, Kalina. It translates to “viburnum,” which is a flowering shrub.
- Jessamine– Jessamine is an ornate Persian name that simply means “jasmine.” It’s a great alternative to the many Jess- names out there.
- Irit– A Hebrew name you might not have encountered Irit before. This treasure refers to the “asphodel flower,” a perennial native to the Mediterranean and the Middle East.
Hippie Names for Girls – More Botanical But Less Flowery
- Briar– Briar is an English botanical name that (surprise, surprise!) means “briar patch.”
- Fern– Fern is one of those nature names that has faded through the years. We would love for this name, which means “bold voyager,” to return to popularity.
- Lavender-An English plant and color name, Lavender deserves a place next to other nature names like Sage and Lilac.
- Rosemary- Rosemary refers to the herb, but is also a standalone name that means “dew of the sea.” Coincidentally, rosemary plants enjoy that climate.
- Marjoram– Marjoram is likely something you have cooked with as it is a popular herb for home cooks. We hope this dusty gem gets shined up again soon.
More Hippie Names – Yes, Girls Enjoy A Lot of Botanical Options!
- Posy– Posy is a quintessentially English name that means “a bunch of flowers.”
- Willow– Willow came into use as a given name far after the willow tree, whose name came from the Old English word welig, meaning “willow.”
- Hazel– Hazel is such a magical nature name for girls. It means “a hazelnut tree.” Who does not love hazelnut?
- Magnolia– Magnolia is a French name and surname that means “Magnol’s flower.” A touch ornate but if you love drama, this is the one!
- Keziah– An Old Testament name that means “cassia tree,” Keziah is one to watch. It’s been criminally underused and we foresee it gaining steam in the coming years.
Hippie Names for Girls – Gems, Minerals & More
- Amethyst– In ancient Greece, Amethyst was a popular name for girls. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for this gem and color name. Let’s change that, parents!
- Gemma– Gemma is a pretty Italian appellation and one of our favorite nature names. Gemma means “precious stone.”
- Amber– A warm and intoxicating name, Amber means “jewel,” in Arabic, the language it originated in.
- Pearl– Pearl comes from Latin and means, well, “pearl.” This classic is set to see a renaissance in the next couple of years. We can’t wait!
- Giada– Jade is a perfectly wonderful name and we urge you to pick it. You might not know, however, that Giada is the Italian form of the name.
More Gem Hippie Names for Girls
- Diamante– If the name Diamond seems over the top to you, you may or may not like its Greek form, Diamante. We think it gives it even more romance.
- Coralie– Coralie is a French name that is currently more popular in Quebec! This name simply means “coral.”
- Opal– Another one of these gem nature names we wish would come back is Opal. Opal comes from Sanskrit and means “gem.”
- Beryl– Beryl is a Greek name for girls that means “sea-green jewel.” It’s currently hot in the UK.
- Garnet– Garnet offers you a two-for-one in that it’s a dark, red gemstone. However, Garnet means “pomegranate.” The stones were actually names for the fruit!
More Hippie Names for Girls – Sparkly Things Continued
- Peridot– Peridot is the deep green birth gemstone for the month of August. The name of the stone comes from Arabic. This would be a distinguished choice!
- Ruby– To us, Ruby will always be a pleasant, spunky, and playful choice. We love it and encourage lovers of red to go for it!
- Citrine– Citrine is the birthstone for babies born in November. You would be wise to consider it as a name for your baby girl born in November.
- Esmeralda– A Spanish name that means “emerald,” Esmeralda is one of the most popular Spanish names for girls in the US today.
- Jewel– Some classic nature names are classic for a reason. Jewel is one such name that has been a top 1000 name for girls in the US for a century!
Animal Hippie Names for Girls
- Dove– Love birds? Doves have long been considered a symbol of peace and good fortune. Why not use Dove as name?
- Paloma– Want a more subtle nod to the Dove? Paloma is a Spanish name that means “dove.” It’s one of our favorite Spanish nature names.
- Yara– Yara is a romantic, Arabic name that means “small butterfly.” This name is already red-hot and we imagine it’s only going to get hotter from here on it.
- Mariposa– Another name that means “butterfly,” Mariposa has Spanish origins and sounds so intriguing.
- Lark– A unisex bird name that works well for both boys and girls like Robin, Lark would be a fresh and bold choice today.
Nature Hippie Names for Girls – Look to the Sky
- Luna– Every new parent’s favorite, Luna, which is Latin and means “moon” is still good even though it is overused.
- Estelle– A French name that means “star,” Estelle is hot once more!
- Ayla– Ayla is a name with Turkish and Hebrew origins. It can mean “oak tree,” “halo,” and “moonlight.”
- Sky– A name that was virtually unheard of until the late 1990s, Sky is now a big contender and favored for baby girls.
- Aurora– One of the best nature names for girls, Aurora is a classic Latin name that means “dawn” and fills up with hope.
Hippie Names for Girls – Topographic and Landscape Names
- Meadow– We have The Sopranos to thank for this gentle nature name. Meadow is warm and welcoming.
- Marine– A popular name for girls in France, Marine has Latin origins and means “of the sea.”
- Sylvie– Another French option, Sylvie is another form of Sylvia, both names mean “from the woods.”
- Prairie– If you like names with a distinctive Western feel, Prairie would do the trick.
- Neve– Neve is a Latin name that means “snow” and it is widely used among Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese families. We love how cool and casual this one feels.
There you go! We hope you feel inspired by these hippie names for girls and boys. We low-key want to take a hike now. We only scratched the surface of romantic, offbeat, and nature baby names as the possibilities are endless! Happy baby name hunting and congrats!
- 1 Check Out These Delightful Hippie Names for Boys & Girls!
- 1.1 Hippie Names for Boys – Botanical Options
- 1.2 Hippie Names for Boys Continued – More Botanical-Inspired Appellations
- 1.3 Hippie Names for Boys – Trees
- 1.4 Hippie Names for Boys – Even More Trees
- 1.5 Hippie Names for Boys – Minerals, Stone, and Rocks
- 1.6 Hippie Names for Boys – Topographic and Landscape-Inspired Appellations
- 1.7 Hippie Names for Boys – More Landscapes & Topographic Names
- 1.8 Hippie Names for Boys – Mythological Names
- 1.9 Hippie Names for Boys – Animals
- 1.10 Hippie Names for Boys – More Animals
- 2 Now, Let’s Look at Hippie Names for Girls
- 2.1 Hippie Names for Girls – Beautiful Botanicals
- 2.2 More Hippie Names for Girls – Fresh Botanicals
- 2.3 Hippie Names for Girls – More Botanical But Less Flowery
- 2.4 More Hippie Names – Yes, Girls Enjoy A Lot of Botanical Options!
- 2.5 Hippie Names for Girls – Gems, Minerals & More
- 2.6 More Gem Hippie Names for Girls
- 2.7 More Hippie Names for Girls – Sparkly Things Continued
- 2.8 Animal Hippie Names for Girls
- 2.9 Nature Hippie Names for Girls – Look to the Sky
- 2.10 Hippie Names for Girls – Topographic and Landscape Names
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.
Baby Name Generator
No baby name sounding good? Want a quick way to generate unique baby name ideas? Try our baby name generator below!
Set your terms (sex of the baby, number of letters, popularity, etc.) and then get a list of names that meet your criteria. Maybe the perfect name is just waiting to be generated for you.