I Am Concerned for My Child’s Safety When My Child Is With Their Father: Advice?

A mom writes in asking for advice because she is concerned about her child’s safety. She asked how she should handle the possibility that her child is being cared for in a home that also houses a family member who is “in and out of detox for heroin” while in their father’s care. Do you have any advice for this mom who is also talking with her attorney?

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Pregnant Mom Killed in Front of Kids in Grocery Store, Police Have Father They Believe Who Did It In Custody

A member of the community asks:

“My child is 11 months old. I just finished court for a child visitation/support order between my child’s father and I. The baby goes on visitation with his dad three times a week and two overnights a month. I recently found out that a family member in that household is in and out of detox for heroin, and may be using heroin in the household that my son goes to for visitation.

Is there anything the courts will do for this? Can I request emergency custody/supervised visitations? I am concerned about my child’s safety and being around that. I am seeking social media opinions/thoughts while awaiting my attorney’s call back so please don’t be so quick to judge.”

– Mamas Uncut Community Member

Community Advice for This Mom Who Is Concerned Over Her Child’s Safety

To see what advice the Mamas Uncut Facebook community has for this mom in need, read the comments of the post embedded below.

Advice Summary

Ari Melber Evidence GIF by MSNBC - Find & Share on GIPHY

Here is what members of the community told this mom. One commenter wrote, “If I were you, I’d file an emergency custody order and go back to court to express your concerns. Maybe there’s an alternative route. He can maybe stay somewhere else with the baby when it’s his overnight, like with his mom or a friend so he can still see the baby and have his bonding time. But if that’s going on in the house, I would request a different solution for supervision. …But at the same time, still allow dad to be dad, that’s important too.”

Another person added, “If they’re melting it to shoot it up, it can cause your child to test positive and you’ll have your child taken away. If the source is reliable I would file for emergency sole custody right away and get your child and his father tested.”

And one mom said, “You need facts to present though. Hearsay won’t work. Then after you get that, absolutely go back to court. Good luck.”

Do you have any advice for this mom? Leave a comment to help another mom out!

Over on the Mamas Uncut Facebook page, our robust community of moms is always having a conversation about topics that matter. We like to highlight those conversations from time to time. Important mom questions. Thoughtful mom answers.

Do you have a question you’d like answered? Submit it to the Mamas Uncut Facebook page, and we may feature it along with some of the best answers on this site! You can remain completely anonymous while still getting the information and support you need from other moms who know what it’s like.

About Mamas Uncut

Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.


Leave a Comment