A mom writes in asking for advice. She says that she is stressed out and out of shape, but she wants to make lifestyle changes and be healthier in general. What’s a good starting point for this mom and other moms like her?
Wellness lifestyle blogger Hayley Focsan weighs in with some advice below.
A Mamas Uncut fan asks:
“I am a stressed out, out of shape mama!! Help, I feel like my kids are draining me. I don’t eat well, I don’t sleep and I don’t exercise. The easiest thing I can do right now is add some healthy foods, but where should I start?”
– Mamas Uncut Community Member
Advice from Hayley Focsan
As a mom, your world revolves around your children, and while being one of the most rewarding jobs in the world, it’s also very exhausting. Introducing some healthier food into your diet can help you feel much more energetic and vibrant.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Don’t skip breakfast. You always make sure your kids get a healthy breakfast every morning, but what about you? A simple cup of coffee just won’t cut it. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it sets the tone for your entire day. Try having a bowl of porridge for slowly-released energy throughout the morning. Top with berries, seeds, and nuts to have a healthy mix of carbs, proteins, and fats.
2. Snack Smartly. Cut up veggies (celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc.) and fruits in advance and place in individual bags in the refrigerator so you can grab an easy, healthy snack when you’re on the go. Healthy snacks and mini meals throughout the day are a great way to keep energy levels high and to help prevent you reaching for a sugary treat.
3. Fill up on fruit and veg. It’s recommended that you eat at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and veg every day. They can be fresh, frozen, canned, dried or juiced. Getting your five a day isn’t as hard as it sounds. Why not chop a banana over your breakfast cereal, or swap your usual snack for a piece of fresh fruit? Having a daily smoothie can be a great way to sneak in lots of fruit into your diet, add a handful of spinach for a protein of dark leafy greens. You won’t even be able to taste it.
4. Keep healthy food readily available. Stock your kitchen with healthy and versatile foods. Having these foods on hand in your pantry, refrigerator or freezer really simplifies the meal making process. When you get hungry, you’re more likely to eat the first thing you see on the counter or in the cupboard. If you don’t keep unhealthy food in your home, then you are less likely to eat them.
[Images via Shutterstock]
Hayley Focsan is a wellness lifestyle blogger who provides lifestyle resource for conscious, health-driven individuals seeking inspiration, advice, tips, tricks, and solutions on how to live their healthiest, happiest selves.
Mamas Uncut is the place for moms online. We cover the latest news around motherhood and parenting, plus entertainment news as well – all with a mom-focused twist. Looking for parenting advice? We have plenty of it, all for moms, from moms. Our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for. We don’t stop there though, we have expert advice on a range of topics, and all of our categories get updated multiple times a day, so if there’s one website for moms you need to bookmark, it’s Mamas Uncut. We cover it all, from the latest and trendiest baby names, in the US and all over the world, to advice for moms in the workplace, or mom to mom advice on balancing it all. Looking for an answer to a specific question you’ve have? Head over to our new answers section, where you can ask questions on a nearly endless amount of topics, and you’ll get answers fast – really fast. Mamas Uncut is more than just the place for moms, it’s the community of moms – all here to help, make friends, and more. Not sure where to start? Take a look at one of our key topic areas like Pregnancy or Relationships – if you’re looking for advice on a specific topic, there’s a pretty good chance that we’ve already written on it (a few times), or that it’s within our answers section. If you don’t have time to read the site every day, we also have a newsletter that you can control how often you want to receive – that way we send all of the must-see content for moms directly to your inbox – it’s that easy. So go ahead and take a look around, ask a question, or just keep reading, we’re glad you’re here.