Weird names for babies come from all sorts of naming traditions and languages but the one thing they have in common is that they are all uncommon and often surprising. Weird names for boys and girls are simply names that have gone out of fashion or new additions that have yet to appeal to a wide swath of parents.
We decided to uncover the weird names parents are using today to better understand the trends, or lack there of, around these uncommon names. If you are looking for weird names to try with your baby or simply curious about what people are getting up to with their offsprings’ names, you have come to the right place!
Check Out These Weird Names!
Weird Names for Girls
Let’s kick things off with weird names for girls. These names might have been popular once upon a time in Europe, but they have never been popular in the US.
More Names for Girls
Here are a couple of Greek gems that seem like weird names today but were once commonplace.
- Cassiopeia – From Greek, belonging to the mythological mother who became a constellation.
- Ione – Also from Greek, meaning “a violet stone”
Names for Girls Continued
Well, it’s all Greek to us because we have a few more weird names that come from the language to share with you.
- Io – From Greek mythology and the name of the largest moon of Jupiter.
- Circe – Another name from Greek mythology, the daughter of Helios who was a sorceress
Let’s turn our attention to some Irish and Celtic names that seem weird to many of us today.
- Caoimhe – From Irish and Scottish tradition, pronounced “kee-va,” meaning “beautiful”
- Africa – From Celtic origins, meaning “pleasant”
More Names for Girls
Let’s take a look at some more weird Irish names for girls that are virtually unheard in the US today.
- Aoife – An Irish name steeped in legend, meaning “radiant”
- Boudicca – An ancient Celtic name, meaning “victory”
More Uncommon Names
Okay, a couple more Irish names to share with you before we move on!
- Vevina – Gaelic, meaning “sweet lady”
- Neala – An Irish name, meaning “cloud”
More Strange Names
We kicked this list off with a a German name and it’s time to look at some more weird names that originated in the language.
- Minka – From German, a diminutive form of Wilhelmina, meaning “resolute protector”
- Elke – From German, a form of Adelheid, meaning “noble”
More Odd Names for Girls
Let’s take a look at some weird names that originated in Latin. Buckle up!
- Orinthia – From Latin, meaning “to stir the mind”
- Dulcibella – From Latin, meaning “sweet”
More Names for Girls
Here are some unsung Italian names that should sound rather strange to contemporary parents.
- Ginevra – From Italian, a popular name in Italy today but basically unknown in the US, meaning “white shadow”
- Fiorella – From Italian, meaning “little flower”
Strange Names for Girls
Let’s check in with another language, Spanish, to find other weird names.
- Leocadia – From Spanish, meaning “splendid brightness”
- Delma – From Spanish and German, meaning “noble protector”
More Weird Names
Check out some more weird names for girls from Spanish!
- Bautista – From Spanish and Latin, meaning “the baptized one”
- Socorra – From Spanish, meaning “one who helps,” referring to the Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Perpetuo Socorro)
Even More Names for Girls
Let’s move on to some names with French origins that you have likely never heard.
- Gervasia – From French, meaning “skilled with a spear”
- Genobeba – From French, meaning “tribe woman”
Unisex Weird Names
Here are some unisex names that can be used for both boys and girls. Don’t worry! They’re still weird names!
- Lowen – Of Cornish origin, meaning “joy”
- Schuyler – From Dutch, meaning “scholar”
More Unisex Names
Here are more gender-neutral names that take a walk on the wild side.
- Lael – From Hebrew, meaning “belonging to God”
- Aris – From Greek, meaning “to harvest”
More Gender-Neutral Names
Here are a couple additional gender-neutral weird names for you to consider.
- Tenzin – A Tibetan name, meaning “holder of the teaching”
- Tully – An Irish name, meaning “flood,” “peaceful,” and “hill”
Weird Names for Boys
Now, let’s discuss some weird names for boys that you have probably never encountered.
- Gatlin – From Old English, meaning “wandering man”
- Jaziel – From Hebrew, meaning “allotted by God”
More Weird Names for Boys
Here are a couple of weird names from the Greek tradition.
- Kester – Originating in Greek, meaning “carrier of Christ”
- Eustace – An English name from Greek, meaning “fruitful”
Strange Names for Boys
Check out these even stranger names for boys.
- Pinchas – From Hebrew, meaning “dark skin”
- Ubaldo – From Italian and German origins, meaning “bold heart and mind”
More Odd Names for Boys
Here are some more weird names that you might want to skip on.
- Wadd – From Arabic or Malay origin, meaning “beloved”
- Royce – From English, meaning “son of the king”
Here are some more names for boys that aren’t all that bad!
- Ozias – From Greek, meaning “salvation”
- Balthazar – A Phoenician name, meaning “Baal protects the King”
More Weird Names
More fun yet weird names for boys.
- Monty – From French, a shortened form of Montague or Montgomery
- Elihu – From Hebrew, meaning “Jehovah is God”
Even More Weird Names for Boys
Here are some more uncommon names for boys both from Latin origins.
- Hadrian – From Latin, meaning “dark hair”
- Maro – From Latin, meaning “of Mars”
Uncommon Names for Boys
These next two names are actually gender-neutral but we more commonly associate them with boys.
- Yarden – From Hebrew, meaning “to flow down”
- Perrin – From Greek, a form of Peter or Perry, meaning “little Peter”
More Strange Names for Boys
These next two names were popular in the US over 100 years ago but are nowhere to be found today.
- Adlai – From Hebrew, meaning “God is just”
- Anatole – From Greek, meaning “from the east”
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 25 Banned Baby Names from Around the World That Are Truly Criminal
Weird Names for Boys
Here are a couple of funny-sounding names to put a cap on this list.
- Gower – From Welsh, meaning “pure”
- Finlo – A Manx name, meaning “fair Lugh”
There you go! What did you think of these offbeat names? We hope you enjoyed these curiosities. We would love to know if any of these appellations appealed to you and if you would consider using any of them for your child. Please let us know by dropping us a comment.
Andrew is a Chicago-based writer who enjoys finding the best of the internet, obsessively making lists, and cooking for friends. After studying Film and Art History, he developed a deep love for both topics. Celebrity news, pop culture, and stories that bring people together are his passions.
- 1 Check Out These Weird Names!
- 1.1 Weird Names for Girls
- 1.2 More Names for Girls
- 1.3 Names for Girls Continued
- 1.4 More Strangeness
- 1.5 More Names for Girls
- 1.6 More Uncommon Names
- 1.7 More Strange Names
- 1.8 More Odd Names for Girls
- 1.9 More Names for Girls
- 1.10 Strange Names for Girls
- 1.11 More Weird Names
- 1.12 Even More Names for Girls
- 1.13 Unisex Weird Names
- 1.14 More Unisex Names
- 1.15 More Gender-Neutral Names
- 1.16 Weird Names for Boys
- 1.17 More Weird Names for Boys
- 1.18 Strange Names for Boys
- 1.19 More Odd Names for Boys
- 1.20 Stranger Names
- 1.21 More Weird Names
- 1.22 Even More Weird Names for Boys
- 1.23 Uncommon Names for Boys
- 1.24 More Strange Names for Boys
- 1.25 Weird Names for Boys
Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.
Baby Name Generator
No baby name sounding good? Want a quick way to generate unique baby name ideas? Try our baby name generator below!
Set your terms (sex of the baby, number of letters, popularity, etc.) and then get a list of names that meet your criteria. Maybe the perfect name is just waiting to be generated for you.