Britney Spears and Kevin Federline Have a New Custody Agreement as Spears’ Conservatorship Battle Rages On

Britney Spears and her ex-husband, Kevin Federline, have reached a new custody agreement as Spears continues to battle the conservatorship she’s been placed under since 2007.

According to Radar Online, Spears and Federline’s new custody agreement grants Spears custody of the couple’s two sons, Jayden (12) and Sean (13), 30 percent of the time. Federline will have custody the other 70 percent of the time.

RELATED: Amber Portwood Wins Court Battle to See Son James After Showing Up with ‘Teen Mom’ Co-Stars by Her Side

Radar Online notes that their previous custody agreement had the boys’ time split 50/50 between both parents.

Spears allegedly must also pay Federline $100,000 for “fees and costs,” according to Radar Online.

TMZ provides further information on the new arrangement, saying that the couple have already been splitting custody 70/30 for the last year. Both parties were allegedly happy with the arrangement, and so they made it official. Again, their previous custody agreement, put into place after Spears’ mental breakdown in 2007, was a 50/50 split, but recent developments have made this new arrangement more attractive.

Though she only has custody of 30 percent of the time now, Spears’ time with her sons does not need to be supervised.

Britney Spears and Kevin Federline: A Timeline

Spears and Federline married in October of 2004 and divorced less than three years later in July of 2007. Their brief, tumultuous relationship was, at the time, a tabloid feeding frenzy, with paparazzi chasing the couple’s every move.

The pair starred in a reality show called Britney and Kevin Chaotic in 2005. The show documented their relationship and arrived years before the big boom of reality shows that we are still living in now. Spears’ first pregnancy was covered during the show’s run.

The pair have not been on perfect terms since divorcing, although it seems they have managed their co-parenting duties fairly well.

During their marriage, Spears’ mental health began deteriorating. She was often seen partying and was allegedly using drugs and alcohol heavily. In 2007, she was placed under a conservatorship, managed by her father, Jamie Spears, and business managers. Since then, Spears has remained under the legal control of her father and various other associates.

Earlier this year, Spears announced that she would be canceling her then-upcoming Las Vegas show, Domination. At the time, she said she was doing so to tend to her father, who suffered a ruptured colon last fall and allegedly almost died.

Since then, however, Spears and her family have been in and out of the news as interest in the conservatorship has once again spiked. The #FreeBritney movement, which aims to remove Spears from the conservatorship, has picked up steam on social media. Many have expressed concern that Spears (and/or her finances) are being abused in the current set up.

It has also been alleged that some of the medication Spears has been taking since 2007 has lost its efficacy, which led to her checking into a mental health facility in April, although it is unclear if she was sent there against her will.

A conservatorship-related hearing is set to be held on Sept. 18. The hope is that further information about Spears’ mental health, the future of her conservatorship, and her and her family’s path forward will be made available.

About Mamas Uncut

Mamas Uncut is THE online place for moms. We cover the latest about motherhood, parenting, and entertainment as well – all with a mom-focused twist. So if you're looking for parenting advice from real parents, we have plenty of it, all for moms from moms, and also experts. Because, at the end of the day, our mission is focused solely on empowering moms and moms-to-be with the knowledge and answers they’re looking for in one safe space.


Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top