An Alabama mother of three got an unpleasant surprise when she started serving her children some green beans for dinner recently.
Michelle Bentley told Dearly that she and her 7-year-old daughter were snacking on some green beans as they waited for other supper food to finish cooking. She explained:
The beans were done cooking and as usual my 7-year-old and me would walk by and steal a bean off the top, blow it to cool and eat it. We LOVE the seasoning.
Bentley said the both consumed “a handful each” before she started serving up the beans onto her children’s plates.
That’s when she noticed a snake’s head that had somehow ended up inside the can of beans. The mom said:
When I spooned it out I seen the snake head on the spoon. I screamed, my 2 girls were in the kitchen and seen it and screamed. My 7-year-old who ate the beans started getting upset because she knew me and her ate it and she was scared she was going to get sick.
Bentley waited until she was calm and then contacted the manufacturer using the number on the back of the can.
She said the woman who answered “wasn’t shocked” and offered her two vouchers for more green beans. But at that point, Bentley said she’d lost her taste for the vegetable.
The mom took photos of the snake and shared them in a now-deleted Facebook post as a warning. Bentley told Dearly:
I just felt like I needed to warn other people, not to ruin their reputation and business, but it’s something people should be aware of.
If you find something in your food that shouldn’t be there, you should contact the food manufacturer and let them know there is a problem.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), you can also report certain “foreign objects” found in food to health agencies.
Dearly has reached out the Glory Food’s parent company, McCall Farms, for a statement and will update with any response.